Now that it’s summertime, everyone is starting to go on beach trips, vacations, and road trips. However, you don’t want to have to worry about getting a flat tire when driving. To keep you from getting stranded, we are here to teach you how to teach how to change a flat tire on your Mazda. Read on to start learning.
Supplies You Will Need
Before we tell you how to change a flat tire, we’re going to provide you with a list of supplies. Make sure you have these supplies before you head out on the road:
- Lug wrench
- Fully inflated spare tire
- Owner’s manual
- Flashlight with batteries
- Rain poncho
- 2”x6” piece of wood
- Wheel wedges
Follow These Steps to Change the Tire
- Pull over to a safe location. If you can’t find an empty parking lot, find a straight stretch of road. Once you’re parked, turn on your hazards lights and apply the parking brakes. This will prevent the vehicle from rolling when changing the tire.
- Place the wheel wedges under the front or rear tires, opposite of the tire that you are changing. Use the lug wrench to loosen the lug nuts about a half or a quarter of a turn. These will be fully removed later.
- Place the jack under the vehicle. There is a spot along the frame near the tire that is flat. Raise the vehicle so that the tire is six inches above the ground. If you are on gravel, use the piece of wood to keep the jack steady.
- Fully remove the lug nuts and remove the flat tire. Place the spare tire onto the hub by lining up the holes with the lug bolts and gently pushing it through. Place on the lug nuts and tighten them by hand.
- Lower the vehicle until the tire is touching the ground but the weight of the vehicle isn’t on it. Tighten the lug nuts with the wrench using your body weight to ensure that they are on securely. Fully lower the vehicle and put away all supplies used.
[ Read more: How Often Should I Change the Oil in My Mazda? ]
Schedule Service Appointment at Fontana Mazda
If you do have to change a flat tire, be sure to schedule a service appointment at Fontana Mazda. While a spare tire is good for the moment, it is good to get new tires to be safe. Visit our tire store to figure out what kind of tires you should get for your vehicle.