Now that Apple CarPlay integration has been added to the Mazda lineup, drivers are looking to learn how the innovative functionality works. Below, we will walk through the requirements for using Apple CarPlay as well as how to set it up and access it in the 2019 Mazda CX-5.
What do you need to use Apple CarPlay in Mazda vehicles?
In order to utilize Apple CarPlay in your Mazda, you first need to have an iPhone 5 or newer. The feature will work best for phones that are updated to the latest iOS, so we recommend having that as well. Additionally, you’ll need a lightning cable to plug in your iPhone via USB as well as Siri® functionality enabled on your phone.
3 Steps to set up Apple CarPlay in a Mazda CX-5
- First off, connect your iPhone to your CX-5 via lightning cable in the USB port marked with a smartphone icon.
- After connecting your phone, follow the prompts on the MAZDA CONNECT™ infotainment screen to enable Apple CarPlay.
- A notification will show up on your iPhone. Tap “Allow” to provide access to Apple CarPlay content on your phone without having to unlock your phone first.
You may also like: How to configure the gauge display in Mazda vehicles
How to access Apple CarPlay in your CX-5
Once Apple CarPlay is set up and you connect your iPhone via USB for future uses, you have 3 options to access Apple CarPlay:
- Press and hold the Home button on the Commander control in your CX-5.
- Tilt the Commander knob forward until the Apple CarPlay icon (upper left corner of the screen) is selected and press the knob.
- From the MAZDA CONNECT™ home screen, rotate the Commander control knob to select Applications then Apple CarPlay.
After connecting your phone and opening the Apple CarPlay application, you can access various iPhone features on an interface just like that of an iPhone, allowing easy-to-use functionality for all users. If you’d like more information about accessing Apple CarPlay, check out the Mazda Apple CarPlay Quick Start Guide.